Monday, July 6, 2009

The dilemma

Now that you know more about my job situation, it's time to present you with the awful dilemma that I am facing.

When I came here, I was supposed to work for a year, and then move to Athens, to start specialising as a pathologist. Unexpectedly, due to other people declining the Athens job, my turn has come! I am now expected to resign, and go there within this month.

If I fail to be present by the deadline I was given, I am immediately deleted from the waiting list. This sounds awful, doesn't it? But the thing is not as bad as it sounds. Actually, I can write my name again and wait until a new position is available. Due to the fact that residencies last for a specific amount of time and not even one day more, it is very easy and safe to estimate when the next employee will leave, thus leaving his place empty for me to fill. This is going to happen in July 2010.

On the other hand, if I take the job offer in Athens, I am still obliged to work as an agricultural doctor for a year, after I finish my residency (after 5 years). The bad thing is that I cannot avoid this. The good thing is that, 6 1/2 years after my graduation, I will have gathered plenty of points and I will be able to get whichever place in Greece I will choose!

So, what do I do? Stay here in Mytilene, in surroundings that have become familiar by now, do my agricultural obligation, earn some good money without too much effort and avoid moving again (this will be my 4th move within this year)? The Athens job will not be lost - it will just have to wait for another year.

Or move to Athens, ensure my financial security for the next 5 years and then, with plenty of points gathered, do my agricultural duty? After all, laws here change all the time, and it may not even be obligatory to do so by that time.

On one hand, we have Mytilene, its quiet way of life, the flexible working hours and the opportunity to postpone the binding decision of getting a specialty for a year. On the other hand, we have Athens, the security of having a job for 5 years, its hectic way of life, but also with possibilities that never end. Lastly, I should mention that my grandparents live in Athens. I will by no means live with them, but I guess they will be there for me if I need help in case of a possible breakdown (after all, I am still recovering from the winter events and the so called "break"/ actual breakup).

What would you do, my dear readers? Please help!

PS: There is one last thing I should mention. I wouldn't write about it at all, because I think that no serious job decision should be based on a "possibility". Facts are facts. However, if I am going to describe the whole situation to you, I should tell you that there is a chance of having something here in Mytilene, emotionally speaking. Things are quite unstable right now, and I am still adapting to the "single" life and getting over things - so one cannot possibly tell how I will react in case a harmless flirting becomes something more. I may not even be ready for this yet - let alone take it into account when deciding what to do! But for the sake of full disclosure, I thought I should mention it too.

Thanks for your insightful comments and helpful input - in advance.


  1. What a difficult decision! I would maybe stay where you are a little longer.

    And thank you for answering my question in the previous post!

  2. When you think of the options, which one gives you peace in your heart? You need to meditate upon this and go with the decision that brings the most sense of peace and calm. That is exactly what I did when deciding whether or not to continue homeschooling my daughter. Right now, my heart is at total peace with my decision even though my brain is full of "what ifs". Good luck dear friend.

  3. If it were me, I would get the one year obligation out of the way, but you have to do what feels right for you. I know that you will make the right decision.

  4. I know this is easier said than done, but I'm with the "follow your heart" vote... I think you're blessed to have more than one choice. Sometimes we overthink things, weighing the options based upon the most profitable or secure, but those aren't always the choices that bring us the most happiness and peace. I say, if you can make a good living at either place, choose the one that makes you happy. I know I haven't given you an answer, because only you can answer this for yourself! Good luck!!

  5. I totally agree with ChristimeM, her comment said it all. Good luck! I have an award for you at my blog.

  6. I think you already know what you need and want to do deep in your heart. You just need to listen to it.

  7. I think your choice is honorable. Without pathologists, how would MDs treat? They are a necessity.

  8. I agree with the common assesment, I think. I think that you should listen to your heart. Try to get into a calm state of mind, put on some soft music, light a candle or some incense or some kind of pleasant calming smell, close your eyes and breath. If you feel like you will be more satisfied staying put, then do that. Or if you really can see yourself thriving in the big city.. then go for it. I think that either way if you are content you will have made the right choice for yourself. Although it is hard, dont worry about what anyone else has to say.. not your colleagues or your parents, listen to yourself, and your own thoughts. (you can, of course, listen to what others say just don't make their opinions more important than yours!) These decisions are just the beginning of the many many choices you will make that will shape your future... and the most important thing to do is listen to your heart. You are the only one who can make this decision! Good luck and welcome to the complicated process of becoming your own person! : )
    I know that whatever you choose will be the right thing!
    ..oh and on a side note.. don't worry too much about your flirtation.... I'm sure that there will be good looking men where ever you go! ; )

  9. I don't think doing an Athens residency followed by a year of agriculture sounds like it makes sense to me. You can't go back. I mean, of course you can if your heart tells you that's the right thing to do but generally speaking I recommend: Finish what you started.

  10. Such a difficult decision. I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably want to stay where you are now, in Mytilene, but I'm not sure that's what best for you. I wish I could be of more help, but I can see why both choices make sense and don't make sense at the same time. Good luck!

  11. Okay, so I should have read this before responding to the previous post!

    I don't know what you should do. I might not be understanding this, but it sounds like it's just a matter of doing both but trying to decide which order?

    I think I'd follow through on the commitment you made and stay put, get your name back on the waiting list and start up your pathology residency next year.